- Course: Operations Management (Fundamentals of Business and Economics master program)
- Stage of study: 2nd year of a master’s program
- Number of students: 40
- Teaching mode: online/offline
How it was used
- For preparation, two simple projects were provided to learn game mechanics. By managing these simple projects, students learn how to assign resources, material, and personnel to the project. The simple projects played individually (5-10 minutes) with a short introduction of the critical path method beforehand. The objective of the game is to get the best financial results from a project by completing a network of tasks given the costs of employees, purchased material, and external resources.
- The main game was played in groups of 3-4 students in one round (25 minutes) with a reflective session after the round and discussing the results. This discussion provides an opportunity for students to reflect on their decisions and recap the learning points..
Comments and experiences
The project business simulation game made a memorable learning experience that sticks to the student’s mind. It is an interesting way of keeping students motivated and teach them both simple and challenging concepts of project management. Simulations allow students to experiment with ideas and receive real-time feedback.